Lately, dengue has made its way to our little country. Hence, the authority concerned, National Environment Agency (NEA) launched a “Do the Mozzie Wipeout” campaign to educate the public on dengue at the same time to prevent dengue from spreading.
NEA advised every household to do the following 5-step mozzie wipeout regularly:
1) Change water in vases on alternate days.
2) Remove water from flowerpot plate on alternate days.
3) Turn over all pails and water storage containers.
4) Cover bamboo pole holders when not in use.
5) Clear blockages and put BTI insecticide in roof gutters monthly.
Also, there are 3 color codes symbolizing number of cases happening in each town. Color ranges from the gentle case (green) to (yellow) that represent cases less than 10, until the highest level (red) that is 10 cases and above. The color banners are hanged along the street sides to alert residents to stay vigilant and do the mozzie check regularly.
So far, more than 3,100 persons have been infected. Fortunately, no deaths were reported. But the message still bring across how fragile life can be? We are nothing under the sting of a tiny mosquito. Let’s take heart, our frail body can never hit the high of our ego.