If you asked around the locals about this pedestrian tunnel, they will concur with a smile of contentment. This is a well-known pedestrian tunnel connecting Queen Elizabeth Walk (Esplanade Park) to Empress Place. Apart from crossing over on the Fullerton Road that leads to Anderson Bridge, this is a leisure way to enjoy the beauty of the Singapore River. In the past, it’s a park where families spent their weekend on. Couples holding hands, dress up like super stars in their bell-bottom pants meet up in the park. Gone were those days, where happy couples, groups of youngsters, families with kids gathered around on weekend in this memorable park of pride. It leaves good memories in most children in the 60s/70s.
On top of the tunnel is Anderson Bridge, a famous local landmark visited by countless.
The concrete parapet wall remains the same standing under the rain and sun unlike the landscape of Esplanade Park that has changed tremendously.
It is quite amazing to see those trees still standing green and lavish while those who once saw them were long gone…
This is my tunnel of memories, where is yours?
On the left of the Cavenagh Bridge, along the fringe of the Singapore River, there are 5 bronze naked boys frolicking, driving off the bridge for a swim.
This First Generation sculpture halted the movement of olden days kids playing along the river while the river is still polluted by mud and garbage. It is a common sight during those days where children swing on trees and take plunge into the river, an uncommon sight these days.
Sculptor, Chong Fah Cheong designed this lovely piece depicting scenes of early days Singapore. You can see the scene played out all over Asia, though the young laughter of the boys were heard no more.
On the right corner of the bridge, a family of Singapura Cat rest themselves there. Kitty mama watches over her 2 lovely kittens frisking happily by the side, though 1 of her kittens was stolen.
Kitty mama guards the heart of Singapore day and night, never missed a single movement along the busy riverside.
There are two bridges leading us from the direction of east to Chinatown.
One is on the left, the “Elgin Bridge”, while the one on the right is “Coleman Bridge”.
Elgin Bridge was built as an unnamed footbridge in 1819. The existing bridge was built in 1929 and named after Lord Elgin (Governor-General of India). It was the first bridge across Singapore River that linked two roads to Chinatown core, South Bridge Road and North Bridge Road.
The second one is Coleman Bridge, which was built in 1840. It was the second bridge built across the Singapore River. Designed and named after an Irish, George Drumgoole Coleman, Singapore’s first architect.
In 1865, the original brick bridge was replaced by timber. And in 1886, an iron bridge was built to replace the wooden one.
To withstand the increasing heavy traffic flow, the iron bridge was finally demolished in 1986 and replaced with the present concrete bridge while the iron lamp post and railing were retained under historical conservation.
Day and night, Elgin Bridge stood still as strong as an iron man, bearing travelers without any complaints.
Ferry with tourist sight seeing the landscape of Singapore River.