There are two bridges leading us from the direction of east to Chinatown.
One is on the left, the “Elgin Bridge”, while the one on the right is “Coleman Bridge”.
Elgin Bridge was built as an unnamed footbridge in 1819. The existing bridge was built in 1929 and named after Lord Elgin (Governor-General of India). It was the first bridge across Singapore River that linked two roads to Chinatown core, South Bridge Road and North Bridge Road.
The second one is Coleman Bridge, which was built in 1840. It was the second bridge built across the Singapore River. Designed and named after an Irish, George Drumgoole Coleman, Singapore’s first architect.
In 1865, the original brick bridge was replaced by timber. And in 1886, an iron bridge was built to replace the wooden one.
To withstand the increasing heavy traffic flow, the iron bridge was finally demolished in 1986 and replaced with the present concrete bridge while the iron lamp post and railing were retained under historical conservation.
Day and night, Elgin Bridge stood still as strong as an iron man, bearing travelers without any complaints.
Ferry with tourist sight seeing the landscape of Singapore River.