Labrador Park Pt 3
Out of many, this is one of the “Black and White” houses on our little red dot. The name “Black and White” depicted the black painted timber windows & doors and the white color painted walls. Currently, there are about 600 colonial houses scattered around our main island. In the past, it was meant for public servants’ lodgings but these days, these houses are on lease for residential, commercial or F&B usage.
The picture revealed House No 30, Bukit Chermin, which is one of the grandest and largest of the four existing bungalows along Bukit Chermin. Just like the rest, the house is preserved by the URA, Conservation Unit.
However, the old Keppel Shipyard is gone at this time, it was relocated to another part of the island. Now the mangrove is left behind listening up to the tide gushing up and telling the old story of reminiscence.
Strolling along the Coastal Walk in noon time, is hard to find a single soul.
I prefer a leafy sky.
Labrador Park Pt 2
Walking towards the left of the Park, the scene of an inviting island over the other side of the sea greets you with open arm. This is the western side of Sentosa Island, Ford Siloso is lush by the den and greenish forest.
There is an machine gun post built during the British colonial era and is meant to protect the coastal shore. Thus, any attempt to assail the main island will acquire a heavy cost.
There is also a restoration of Dragon’s Teeth Gate. According to the provided introduction, Dragon’s Teeth Gate was famously known as “Batu Berlayer” or “Sailing Rocks” among the local Malays.
In 1349, A Chinese Historian Wang Da Yuan described in his article, “the straits between the two hills, Temasek (old name of Singapore) looks like Dragon’s Teeth, this is how the name was derived.
In 1405, the great Navigator, Zhen Hē sail passed Temasek using his navigation chart with Dragon’s Teeth Gate as one of the landmark.